Thursday, May 31, 2007

Honestly, I just keep forgetting about our blogs! I was so wrapped up working on my final piece this week I just plain forgot until now. But my piece is coming along. I finally have an interview with someone from Planned Parenthood tomorrow morning, but haven't had any luck finding someone with a bad experience with the vaccine. I also have an interview with someone who has had HPV. Lately, I’ve been looking more into the debate over vaccinating girls before they enter sixth grade, to get a the whole big picture of everything Gardasil.

This weeks readings:

I enjoyed the piece from Rimer about Mr. Jack. It reads nicely, a good pace. But I’m not sure who it’s really about- Amherst or Mr. Jack? I thought it was well-written and fun to read.

What’s also interesting to me is that this student is from Miami. Also being from Florida- I think he probably qualified for what Florida calls the Bright Futures scholarship (which is probably the full-ride offer to UF). With a 1200 SAT, and some volunteer time, he could have had a full-ride to any state school in Florida- or used that equivalent amount to go to a private school. But I suppose Amherst is much more prestigious, but it just seems interesting to me how they painted such a dire picture of him before Amherst. With Bright Futures he would have gotten a month stipend as well.

Overall, I do think that these initiatives are good- and I hope more will follow suite (especially K College). While I don’t remember the rates any more, in sociology we were talking about how we have a much higher percentage of students in the top socioeconomic quartile than the national average- which is already ¾. That’s kind of sad to me. And how the student talks about if any one had ever seen a food stamp- makes me want to ask that to my sociology classes where we talk about these issues.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your help!